01 August 2011

Neglect

Poor, poor blog.  This space of the web has been so neglected!  We have continued to read and meet, but I have neglected to document our literary path.  This month we are reading: aug book

This book has been a bit challenging for me to begin reading, but after an encouraging email from Stacey, I dove in again and I’m treading water nicely.  The writing is almost lyrical and the imagery is addictive.  I’m excited to conquer this book.  It is a book I would have never picked for myself, but isn’t that the point of a book club?  We are looking to expand our horizons.  I will finish this by the end of the month.  I will!

We have had a great journey together over the last year in our theme of “love.”  For our new year, we will go a little different direction.  I will be presenting our group with a list of classic novels recommended by Gladys Hunt.  She is a great anthologist (is that a word?)  with a biblical world view.  Not that all the novels she recommends are “Christian,” but she does view the world through that lens, so we can benefit from her insight.  My plan is that I will print out a master list of her recommended novels (30+, hopefully), and the hostess for each meeting will select our reading for the following meeting. 

For example, (I’m unsure of who our next hostess is…Rubi or Stacey) our hostess for August will be given the list in advance and when we meet at the end of the month, our hostess will present her selection.  My hope is to give you all a list of recommended classic novels with our theme for this year becoming “classics.”  As always, this book club is a work in progress, so if it is a miserable failure, we will revamp as we go.

I hope to see you all in a few weeks so we can discuss Here Be Dragons!  Look for an email soon from me or our hostess defining time, date, and location.  Happy Reading!

No comments: